Last night, driving home I spoke to a friend whose husband-out of the blue-had a stroke. He's alive and fully aware, but there are some serious issues-partial paralysis and some other dreadful things. He is a non-smoker, was fit, not overweight and had no family history. On the same conversation, she told me that her father is at a different hospital dying from kidney cancer.
I walked in the door and the fish for the dinner I had planned hadn't defrosted, so I scrambled to put something together based on last night's leftovers.About 20 minutes into dinner I get a call from a parent of one of my kid's friends. We have to organize rides to and from an event. This Momzilla keeps me on the phone for almost 15 minutes telling me about the history of the carpools, the politics of the carpools, and about her car having 7 seats but your car only has 5 seats, blah blah blah.
While I'm STILL, Lord Have Mercy, on the phone listening to brain-numbing non-stop screeds about carpool, wanting the earth to swallow me up whole, another kid screams that there is poo in his SpongeBob underware (thank goodness it wasn't the Diego ones) and that he didn't make it to the bathroom on time. While I'm on the phone and my brain starts hurting, scooping up sh&t-literally, the door bell rings and it's the pharmacy is delivering a prescription for another kid.Meanwhile, the dishwasher hasn't been unloaded from the night before, the dinner dishes are still on the table and I have to unload the dishwasher before I can clean up the dinner mess.Have you ever had evening such as these? These wonderful scenes of domestic bliss. I have them all the time. And while I have my moments of total madness, they make me feel blessed. I'm so happy I'm not that person in the hospital, and that I'm not the carpool obsessed parent. I'm just me-happy with my lot and blessed to be busy as always.
No comments:
Post a Comment