Testimonials

"Laugh out loud funny!" - The Australian Conservative.

"Cheap and lazy link gateway site"-Misc. grumpy dude.

"A lusty foul-mouthed Zionista wench." - Old Line Texan

"Mombo" - Pi Guy, Correspondence Committee

August 18, 2009

Must Read: Futile" healthcare is in the eye of the beholder, and should be in the hands of the patient.

I just got this article, and suggest you all read it.

"When people discuss "end-of-life care," they often invoke scenarios meant to sound ominous: tubes, breathing machines, physical dependency. I'm not scared by those images, having lived for 46 years with increasing reliance on technological and human support. A ventilator aids my breathing. Personal care assistants bathe, dress, and feed me. I operate my wheelchair by blowing into a tube. And my life is far from over. Of course, none of us can know for sure, but I plan on being around for a while."

"That plan has not always gone unquestioned. Tactless acquaintances have told me they would kill themselves if they became as disabled as me. More chillingly, the last time I was hospitalized for pneumonia, I had two different nurses ask if I had a DNR—a "do not resuscitate" order. I replied that I had come to the hospital to get better, not to die."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steyn:
http://tinyurl.com/qsyk5j

We need T-shirts:
http://tinyurl.com/o486ur

Obamacare proponents don't really care about lowering costs, it's all about soaking the rich and making them pay.
What these clowns don't take into consideration is that once everything became more-or-less stable, there would be no recourse to government-provided decisions. You can't fight city hall.

LC LaWedgie

Anonymous said...

There is a so-called ethicist (at Yale I believe) by the name of Peter Singer. He's really big on defining 'quality of life' in terms of mental/physical capability and using it to allocate social resources.

He is, quite frankly, a pig

grayp

Closet Conservative said...

grayp-he's a vile bastard-a real eugenist who loathes disabled people. He's damned lucky I never ran into him in Toronto

Closet Conservative said...

LC-Steyn is right, it's liberty over your own body-that is the issue.

Anonymous said...

liberty over your own body indeed. Where are all the pro-choice people?

grayp

Closet Conservative said...

Good question.