Testimonials

"Laugh out loud funny!" - The Australian Conservative.

"Cheap and lazy link gateway site"-Misc. grumpy dude.

"A lusty foul-mouthed Zionista wench." - Old Line Texan

"Mombo" - Pi Guy, Correspondence Committee

June 08, 2010

Dear Helen Thomas

Dear Helen Thomas,

I watched on video, with great interest, your suggestion that Jews get the hell out of Palestine and go back to Poland.

I'm actually going to be taking you up on your suggestion next week. I'm not really going "back" to Poland because I've never been there before. But all of my grandparents were born there.

They were lucky enough to get out of Poland and into Canada, but everyone who stayed in Poland ended up in ovens, or burned alive in a barn in southeastern Poland-I assume you have heard of Jedwabne.

I wrote about it a little while ago. In Jedwabne, the Jews were rounded up-men, women and children and put into a barn.

The barn was set on fire and the Jews were burned alive.

The Poles didn't like the sound of the screams, so they played music outside the barn to drown out the sounds.

For many years, the Poles blamed the Nazis for this atrocity. However, in recent years, the Poles have come clean. They burned their neighbours alive because they were Jews.

My grandmother, she used to get letters from her father, the Rabbi, once she had arrived in Canada. They were from a little town near the eastern border with Russia. I have copies of those letters written in Yiddish-they are yellowed, but they have a Bialystock postmark.

I can see my great-grandfather's handwriting, but I can't understand all the words.

I have a picture of my grandmother and one of her sisters standing in front of their house, which doubled as a storefront and a little shtiebel.

Guess what, Helen? The letters just stopped coming all of the sudden.

Then, one day, she got the call in Canada that everyone was gone. The village had been emptied of its Jews and they were all sent to Auschwitz.

My mother, although just a very young child remembers the day her mother couldn't stop screaming and crying. My grandmother's parents, her siblings, cousins, uncles, aunts-they were gone, murdered.

They were Polish, but there is nothing left of them so they can't really go "back" to Poland either.

So my dear Helen, I am going "back" for them. And Helen, I am also raising Jewish children for them.

Every time I say a blessing, make a Sabbath meal, or celebrate a Jewish holiday I'm doing it for them.

Ironically, Helen, I'm doing it for you, too.

While you spend your last few weeks or months on earth, trapped in your Jew-hating body with your Jew-hating soul, taken down by a Rabbi with a flip camera, I will continue to raise my Jewish children, and they will G-d willing raise their own Jewish children.

Though the fires of Judenhaas still burn within you, and within the Islamic death cult we Jews will continue to live-in Israel and elsewhere.

We will celebrate life, we will honour our dead and despite your wishes to the contrary, we will not go back into the ovens.

So you, and your many colleagues in the media who have always been in agreement, but just more cautious about agreeing with you, and just much smarter about not getting caught on video, can collectively kiss my Jewish, Zionist behind.

So Helen, I thought you might want to know that this Jew is going "back" to Poland, not because of you, but despite you.

30 comments:

Weirddave said...

I may be using this wrong-not being of the Jewish persuasion myself-but I believe "Yasher koach" is an appropriate response? Yes? No?

Anonymous said...

Great post. My grandmother's family was from a shtetl in Austria. My grandmother, who emigrated around 1915, corresponded with her family by mail for years, and used to send them money whenever she could spare it. This continued even after the Anschluss. Somewhere around 1940-41, the letters stopped coming. We never found out, precisely, but I don't think they became White House correspondents.

Jeffrey Perren said...

"We will celebrate life, we will honour our dead and despite your wishes to the contrary, we will not go back into the ovens."

Even an atheist, Irish-German-Indian mongrel like myself can be moved to say "Bless you. Bless you and yours. May you live a hundred fifty years and have a dozen children, who each live a hundred fifty years and have a dozen children each."

And you may all visit my home at my expense anytime you wish, and stay as long as you like.

I have never read your blog before and have no idea what your views and values are. But today, you are my sister.

Closet Conservative said...

Yishar Koach is a very nice thing to say-yes. Thank you.

And thanks for the nice comments.

Anonymous said...

Mark Steyn linked to your page from National Review today, and on a whim I followed the link. I'm so glad I did: your column brought tears to my eyes. I've been so heartbroken over the events (and their misrepresentation) over the last week or so--it's just so moving and--perhaps oddly--reassuring to read your column. Thank you!

Hakkı Öcal said...

I am going to Poland with you. I was burned with your great parents. I was killed with your cousins. I celebrate your life, as well as that of all innocent people on the face of the earth. And I am a Muslim. My religion is not a death cult. It is those wo hijacked my religion and blackened its beautful face with their politics, with their culture, with their tradition and with their murders who are the cult of death. They are not Muslim; I am Muslim. and I have history of 600 years to prove it. Even if you don't take me with you, I am going to grand mother's village with you and pray for her, for them and for us.

Anonymous said...

I'd say you speak for many, and on behalf of them you have written the archetypical last word on the execrable Helen Thomas.

Still, she didn't say anything that a goodly number of the people in the White House press room don't believe...not to mention the West Wing.

It can't happen here? I'd say Jews shouldn't take anything for granted these days.

www.jpfo.com

Anonymous said...

great post, great blog

Jeremy said...

This is an extremely beautiful piece. You are an example to us all.

Anonymous said...

This brought tears to my eyes... Thank you for writing this, hope many many people read it.
- From a Proud Jew living in Israel.

benning said...

Amen, sister! Well written; well said!

Hutch said...

This was absolutely fantastic. I am still disgusted by the things that woman said. Good luck on your travels. God Bless.

maria horvath said...

Bless you! And your children! And your children's children!

DEVOTIONS UPON EMERGENT OCCASIONS

No man is an island, entire of itself;
Every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less,
As well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friends of thine own were;
Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind;
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee.

~ John Donne (1572-1631)

richard millett said...

Amazing piece. Thank you.

Unknown said...

This is one of the most moving pieces that I have ever read. Thank you for saying what all of us were thinking, but couldn't find the words to express. Also, thanks to your readers for proving that there are amazing people from all walks of life, regardless of race, religion or ethnicity. You have made a real Kiddush Hashem.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Closet Conservative said...

Am Yisrael Chai ELEVENTY!!!!

Thanks.

Finally Free said...

Kol ha-kavod!

By her own warped logic, the execrable Helen Thomas should go back to Lebanon where she hails from.

And one "minor" detail that she overlooked: half of the Israeli Jewish population comes from Muslim countries or has parents that came from there (usually expelled or "encouraged" to leave). Until the Russian mass immigration, such "mizrachim" actually were the majority. The invidious claim that Israelis are some sort of European transplant has no basis in reality.

Jill Sevelow said...

Bless you for writing this, bless you for living well....and honoring your family, who will now never be forgotten. And bless Hakki Ocal, who wrote to you. Too often we jump to conclusions about who our "collective" enemy is- this is a man with a beautiful heart.

miriam sawyer said...

I had a different reaction to past events in Pinsk involving my (now extinct) family:

http://miriamsideas.blogspot.com/2010/05/i-wont-be-visiting-pinsk-thanks.html

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this beautiful piece.
Thank you Jeff & Hakki for restoring my faith in mankind.
If only there were more like you..

verofoster said...

superb, well put...you are a beautiful and strong, part of an incredibly rich heritage and tradition, may god bless you and yours! I was born and raised in Romania and naturalized in the US and I know fully well the history of anti-semitism in the part of the world where I grew up and it's hideous and abhorrent, it takes someone less than human to make the kind of statement Thomas made and it's all the more shocking for someone living in the 21st century to hear it... I would like to believe that she's more of a relic of an ugly past and that her beliefs will die with her...

Am Yisrael Chai!

Michael said...

Over 20 years ago on a trip to Poland we visited Auschwitz. As I stepped off the bus I was overwhelmed with the smell which I still believe was the smell of death. Although I consider myself familiar with the history of the second world war I was dumbfound to see what one group of humans could do to another. By the way I am Irish Catholic immigrant to this great country.

Unknown said...

Kol HaKavod!

Anonymous said...

Even an atheist Irish-Russian-Georgian mongrel like myself (albeit with three Jewish children - a matrilineal thing) can be moved to say: God bless you. I wish you could say it to Helen Thomas' face.

I have read your blog before and have a good idea what your views and values are. You have been my sister for some time.

Mark Steyn linked to your page from National Review today, and on an informed hunch I followed the link. I'm so glad I did: your column brought tears to my eyes. I've been so angered by the misrepresentation over the events of the last week or so--it's just so moving and--perhaps oddly--reassuring to read your column. Thank you!

Hakki Ocal is plainly a very fine man. Imagine how the world would be if 70% or even 20% of his co-religionists thought as he does and went public on it. One can only dream of such a scenario.

Miriam isn't going back to Pinsk: one must respect that, but what comes to my mind is a television program where an irreverent Australian comedian Austen Tayshus (Sandy Guttman) travelled to Poland to visit his ancestral home town where all his parents' exterminated relatives had lived before WW2. It was black comedy for the most part with Austen interviewing the Poles who lived in the houses his deceased relatives had lived in 1939. At the end, however, in a former Jewish cemetery, this man in his fifties whose public persona is as hard as nails and smartarsery par excellence breaks down and weeps with shoulders shuddering asking why did this happen to his family.

"The invidious claim that Israelis are some sort of European transplant has no basis in reality." Indeed prior to 1980 the largest source of post 1948 Israelis was Morocco.

Personally I'm delighted Helen Thomas showed her true colours. I eagerly wait for Robert Fisk et al to do the same and we can put paid to the media lie that people like Fisk, the BBC and Guardian staff en masse (Roy Greenslade dishonourable mention) are merely anti-Israel. What is disturbing about the Lebanese Christian origin Thomas is why is it that she is such a vile old Jew-hater. Without Israel her Lebanon would be a far worse place for the Maronites, Greek Orthodox, etc. Even for the Druze. I suspect she doesn't care - she's afflicted by a viral hatred that has its roots in her personal psychology. From her physiognomy, perhaps being mistaken for being Jewish in her pre-public life.

As you have seen Mark Steyn has just brilliantly eviscerated one Mr Nowak for his silly and grossly insensitive commentary upon your piece. What is hugely notable is that in almost a decade of Steynonline reading that was the longest, most comprehensive and impassioned riposte I have seen to a Mailbox contributor. Steyn at his very best.

Fond regards to you and your children. L'chaim.

Anonymous said...

Bless you for this column that is the perfect answer to Helen Thomas' ugliness. As a young Catholic American cavalry trooper I stood in the gas chamber at Dachau and wept over the ovens only 15 years after the last person was murdered there. As an old guy now, I find it shocking that such mindless hatred is in this administration and its apologists. NEVER AGAIN! NEVER AGAIN!

bernie said...

Great letter, I republished it in part here

Anonymous said...

Everyone Listen to WEINBERG ON THE LAW from Detroit on Sunday June 20th. from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. on 1270 AM...he is interviewing Helen Thomas Boss the one that fired her and long time friend....should be FANTASTIC..he is a GREAT Interviewer!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Closet Conservative -
Thanks to Mark Steyn's link, I got to read your letter. It was truly moving. As for Helen Thomas' remark, isn't a proper response to it that the Jews of are Israel are home, and there is no other home for them, because Canaan has always been and will always be Israel's home?

Jack in Silver Spring

Anonymous said...

Thank-you for your remarks. It's usually automatic for conservatives to be against anything that President Obama supports, even if he comes out in favor of a sunny day. However, in the case of Israel, your heart, and those of your fellow conservatives, allowed you to get past politics and come out in support of Israel (even though the President is one of Israel's strongest supporters. In this case, the truth is more important than partisan politics. Thank-you for that.

Your words touched my heart. I wish Ms. Thomas could have met my late cousin, who was the subject of Nazi experiments in the camps; or my late uncle, who was forced to dig graves in the camps for his fellow death-camp residents and who lived to be buried by his children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews; or my other many relatives who wore their number tattoos and lived to tell their story; or my relatives who never survived.

"Go back to Poland", indeed!!

Aaron said...

Wait, what?

With regard to Israel "the truth is more important than partisan politics." Agree. Strongly. But the other half of the statement is from Mars: "the President is one of Israel's strongest supporters." Huh?

Only someone blinded by partisan politics could possibly even THINK that. Obama supports Israel? You're kidding, right? Right? I suspect from the rest of your comments that you're an American Jew who followed our traditionally liberal voting pattern last time around and you are now having trouble squaring that with Obama's open animosity towards Israel (You really said "the President is one of Israel's strongest supporters." That's astonishingly delusional). Well, guess what? We were had. I just hope Israel can survive until Jan 2013, when hopefully we'll have a friend in the White House again.