I think Weisel is totally wrong to insist that Holocaust denial (and only Holocaust denial by the way) be illegal. It's insane. It should not be illegal to say, or think anything except saying a direct threat to someone, or libeling them-and even libel is a questionable thing.
The main point about criminalizing speech and thoughts is that one can inadvertently cause the 'offender' to become a minor or major celebrity.
Mind you-it has happened so many times with the same result, that perhaps it's not inadvertent at all. It's just the way dumb liberal control-freaks try to handle things. Doing them wrong over and over again, impervious to facts.
Rushdie apparently has gotten over his fatwa "no big deal anymore", but I certainly agree with him more about free speech issues-plus he did a pretty nice dis of Cat "Yusuf Islam" Stevens, the douchebag, Jew-hating "revert" who used to play some nice folk songs.
The event was moderated by Brian Mulroney who I quite like.
I still think the fatwa is a big deal, in the same was that the hostage takeover of the American embassy in Iran was a big deal, and the way 9/11 is still a big deal. They are major, earth-changing events in world history-the reverberations still being felt and the hallmarks of the current war we are in.
We can never say we've 'gotten over' these events. There is no moving on-there is only moving through and finding the resolve to fight until we crush our enemies entirely.
No comments:
Post a Comment