I agree, eating bugs in anything but extreme survival mode--like a plane crash deep in the Andes--is stupid, though, mind you, I have no moral objection to an insectocentric cuisine. (I realize, of course, that religious objections do exist; bugs sure ain't kosher.) However, I am not convinced that those who push this sort of thing are nuts; control freaks, yes, nuts, no.
I think that this is yet one more attempt to create habits of submission so extreme in at least a significant portion of the population that they will willingly do anything the governing class tells them to. Playground bullies do this all the time, for instance, by forcing weaker kids to eat dirt and, yes, bugs!
Of course, members of the governing class and their privileged retainers will exempt themselves from the directive to eat creepy-crawlies; you really cannot begin to imagine the Obamas, the Kerrys, or Mr. Gore sitting down to a delicious, good-for-the-environment bowl of fried Madagascar roaches.
1 comment:
I agree, eating bugs in anything but extreme survival mode--like a plane crash deep in the Andes--is stupid, though, mind you, I have no moral objection to an insectocentric cuisine. (I realize, of course, that religious objections do exist; bugs sure ain't kosher.) However, I am not convinced that those who push this sort of thing are nuts; control freaks, yes, nuts, no.
I think that this is yet one more attempt to create habits of submission so extreme in at least a significant portion of the population that they will willingly do anything the governing class tells them to. Playground bullies do this all the time, for instance, by forcing weaker kids to eat dirt and, yes, bugs!
Of course, members of the governing class and their privileged retainers will exempt themselves from the directive to eat creepy-crawlies; you really cannot begin to imagine the Obamas, the Kerrys, or Mr. Gore sitting down to a delicious, good-for-the-environment bowl of fried Madagascar roaches.
Post a Comment