Testimonials

"Laugh out loud funny!" - The Australian Conservative.

"Cheap and lazy link gateway site"-Misc. grumpy dude.

"A lusty foul-mouthed Zionista wench." - Old Line Texan

"Mombo" - Pi Guy, Correspondence Committee

August 13, 2010

Of Course Shimon Peres is Right.

This is just more anecdotal confirmation.

5 comments:

Square Mile Wife said...

Carol always tells it like it is. She's right.

Carlos Perera said...

Ms. Gould's commentary is sad and alarming, though it should not surprise anyone who has been following Melanie Phillips' excellent blog or reading her books.

I do wish to take issue, not with Ms. Gould's observations of the rabid anti-Semitism and anti-Americanism of the British leftist chattering class, which, I am afraid, ring all too true, but with the tone of some of the comments appended to her article. Modern Britain, going at least as far back as the Victorian era, had been quite hospitable to Jews, as both Ms. Phillips and the wonderfully incisive social commentator, Dr. Anthony Daniels (nom de plume Thedore Dalrymple, who is an ethnic, though not a religious, Jew), both attest. Benjamin Disraeli, though a convert to Anglicanism, never sought to hide his Jewish roots, and many Jews, beginning with Anthony Nathan de Rothschild in 1847, were elevated to the peerage. And, of course, the great Winnie was notably philo-Semitic and pro-Zionist.

My own sense is that a great deal of philo-Semitism and pro-Zionism still exists among the mass of conservative Brits (not to be confused with the effete, oh-so-trendy leadership of the Conservative Party!). For exmaple, the English Defense League, which has begun to challenge the jihad on English soil, much to the consternation of the governing class, is explicitly philo-Semitic and pro-Israel.

The UK may indeed be screwed, along with the rest of Western Europe--I often think so myself, in my bleaker moments--but I believe with Ms. Phillips that, in modern times, the British have on the whole been a decent people and, on the whole, an asset to Western Civilization. Still, I wholly agree that the devolution of their governing and intellectual classes since the 1960s gives more than a little cause for despair.

Tim Johnston said...

who wears a baseball cap to a party???
Oh, a "creative director"..

You think Britain is bad, try Ireland, that sinking ship I've been blessed to have escaped from. Probably the most pro-Palestinian country in Europe.

Square Mile Wife said...

Tim - you are right. I was in Ireland this spring and couldn't wait to get out.

Richard K said...

The IRA used to do joint operations with the PLO, so there's a history of cooperation there