I work with Down's syndrome children every school day. The trisomy can manifest itself in a broad spectrum of physical and mental abilities; many, though admittedly not most, Down's syndrome children are quite capable of leading quite self-sufficient lives; of those who can't, I have yet to meet one who does not respond as a fully human being to care and affection--in fact, they are among the most affectionate humans I have had the pleasure to meet.
What is wrong with _us_ that we so cavalierly kill in the womb human beings who do not measure up to some arbitrary eugenic measure of perfection? The Nazis did not start their mass murder by firing up the death camps for genocide right away. They began by "euthanizing" the disabled, including those with Down's syndrome, under the infamous _Aktion_ T 4 in October of 1939. Will we ever learn anything from the history of the 20th century? How will we stand before God and claim that we were a just people?
I know Carlos. It's heartbreaking. To my great shame, Israel actually has the highest rates of pre-natal testing and abortions for minor fetal abnormalities (such as an extra digit). It's horrifying. And yes, the Nazis did start with their own disabled children. I read a lot about it. The parents were told they just "died" in care, or after an illness.
2 comments:
I work with Down's syndrome children every school day. The trisomy can manifest itself in a broad spectrum of physical and mental abilities; many, though admittedly not most, Down's syndrome children are quite capable of leading quite self-sufficient lives; of those who can't, I have yet to meet one who does not respond as a fully human being to care and affection--in fact, they are among the most affectionate humans I have had the pleasure to meet.
What is wrong with _us_ that we so cavalierly kill in the womb human beings who do not measure up to some arbitrary eugenic measure of perfection? The Nazis did not start their mass murder by firing up the death camps for genocide right away. They began by "euthanizing" the disabled, including those with Down's syndrome, under the infamous _Aktion_ T 4 in October of 1939. Will we ever learn anything from the history of the 20th century? How will we stand before God and claim that we were a just people?
I know Carlos. It's heartbreaking. To my great shame, Israel actually has the highest rates of pre-natal testing and abortions for minor fetal abnormalities (such as an extra digit). It's horrifying. And yes, the Nazis did start with their own disabled children. I read a lot about it. The parents were told they just "died" in care, or after an illness.
Post a Comment