No tears for African chambermaids.
May 17, 2011
My Idiot People
Overrated effete secular divo Jewish "philosopher" demands you horrible Yanquis back off his wonderful socialist Jewish IMF man-friend name Dominique.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
As a husband and the father of two young-adult daughters, I share Conservative's outrage over the alleged rape of the chambermaid by M Dominique Strauss-Kahn . . . if the horrible act described by her occurred as described. I further believe that the police who investigated the accusation, and the judge who issued the warrant for M Strauss-Kahn's arrest, did the right thing by placing him under arrest as they did, before he could leave the country and possibly do a "Polanski." Rape is a horrible crime, second only to murder in its moral import; I am old enough to remember when many states, including my own, Florida, meted out the death penalty for this vile offense, which I think was a condign punishment (though impractical in terms of the incentives it gave to the victimizer to murder the victim).
Having said the above, I must dissent from Conservative's estimation of M Bernard-Henri Lévy as an "overrated effete secular divo 'philosopher'." M Lévy, while nominally a socialist, has been a staunch defender of Western values since his debut in the 1970s as one of the _nouveaux philosophes_ who broke with the doctrinaire French Marxist Left that largely dominated political discourse in academic, journalistic, and literary circles at the time. M Lévy was pilloried for his efforts, in which he persisted to the point that anti-Marxism is now part of the intellectual mainstream in France. More recently, M Lévy has been an able and vigorous defender of Western values vis-à-vis the Islamicist tide that threatens to engulf Western Europe; he has also been a particularly staunch defender of Israel and its right to exist and defend itself from the jihadi threat to which it is daily exposed. This is not an easy thing to do in present-day intellectual circles in Western Europe; M Lévy has been subjected to a firestorm of invective that makes the anti-anti-communist counterattacks of his _nouveaux philosophe_ salad days seem like polite tea party banter by comparison.
So, while I most definitely agree with Conservative's take on the matter of M Strauss-Kahn's arrest, and further agree that M Lévy was ill-advised to criticize the American authorities who acted decisively but reasonably and responsibly on behalf of the alleged victim, I hope, respectfully, that Conservative will revise her opinion of M Lévy's character and intellectual probity.
Post a Comment