Read this new one from the Happy Warrior.
It is such a gift to be able to talk about the gloomiest concepts on the planet (the suicide of the West) and make people laugh and cry at the same time.
It's all about connections-he weaves this tale of the liberals in California and being baffled by the decline in their state, with the overall decline of the West.
We have never had more "stuff" in the West.
We have so much food that people turn into beluga whales, "stuffing" themselves with crap until their bodies refuse further punishment.
We have so much money that people buy gold-plated toilets, and celebreties have the blue M&Ms removed from their dressing rooms before performances. People are injecting plastic into their rear ends and boobs and taking hair from their butts and transplanting them into their balding heads (OK, I made that one up).
The point it there has never been so much "stuff" and there has never been so much misery. Everywhere you look, people are finding new gods: food, liberalism, Mother Earth, and obsessing about their "needs" and their "relationships".
In the old days you had a boyfriend, a girlfriend, a fiancee or a husband/wife.
Now people have these strange things called "relationships" that they discuss ad nauseum, and even pay people ("therapists") to listen to them.
Never more indulgence, and never more misery.
So, I'm sticking to the squaresville, dudsville lifestyle.
Married with a mortgage-Mom.
I don't go out drinking after work, and I'm at home to tuck the kids in and wake them up. I'm in the same bed as my husband.
How boring! How unprogressive!
The thing is-I'm still having more fun than the nose-pierced, tattoed, gender questioning morons.
How can you explain that?
I think it's that the most important thing about having fun and enjoying life is our minds and souls.
If your mind and soul is so preoccupied with self-pleasure, you cannot give and you cannot grow up.
My mind is a terrible thing to waste.
And it's pretty strange and warped. And I think that's OK.
A media friend asked me one time how I reconcile relatively 'conservative' social values with my penchant for swearing like a sailor (only with friends, and when it's needed in my story-telling), and insisting on talking about sex, religion and politics (the things you're not supposed to talk about).
I think it's that I acknowledge the 'dark' side-I sometimes visit in my mind, but the best way to live is squaresville-for me, the husband, the kids and for society.
Restraint, controlling our animal instincts, behaving as humans and not like beasts is why we are here and why life is worth living. I'm in it for the long haul.
No comments:
Post a Comment