I agree with your assessment, Conservative, but I would make one little emendation: the "kids" are over-schooled, but not over-educated.
Good grief, one can barely read what some of these graduates, not of our grammar schools, not of our high schools, not even of our undergraduate university programs, but of our graduate and professional programs write in clinical notes and seminar literature: they lack basic grammar and syntax, cannot spell simple words, and let us not even speak of paragraph structure or effective rhetoric (in the good sense of that word). And doing even simple arithmetic without a calculator is fast becoming a lost art: try to get a graduate student working as a cashier to count back your change!
1 comment:
I agree with your assessment, Conservative, but I would make one little emendation: the "kids" are over-schooled, but not over-educated.
Good grief, one can barely read what some of these graduates, not of our grammar schools, not of our high schools, not even of our undergraduate university programs, but of our graduate and professional programs write in clinical notes and seminar literature: they lack basic grammar and syntax, cannot spell simple words, and let us not even speak of paragraph structure or effective rhetoric (in the good sense of that word). And doing even simple arithmetic without a calculator is fast becoming a lost art: try to get a graduate student working as a cashier to count back your change!
Post a Comment